About the Orsay Museum
Station (now a museum) was built by Victor Laloux, and
once served as the first electrified urban railway terminal
in the world, opening in 1900 in time for the Exposition
Universelle. The station was used in World War II as
a mailing centre for the transport of parcels for prisoners
of war, and served after the war as a reception area
for freed prisoners.
After nine years of renovation, the
former station was reopened in 1986 as the Musée
d’Orsay, with its main impressive clock feature
still in use. The museum sits alongside the River Seine,
opposite from Tulieries Park, and is entirely viewable
within a day, unlike the Louvre museum which is situated
on the other side of the park.
Orsay Museum holds a number of well
known paintings, including many works from the impressionists,
from Van Gogh to Degas, Monet and Renoir. There are
also a number of impressive sculptures, and photographs.
Some of the artists featured include:
Renoir, Vincent Van Gogh, Anders Zorn, Odilon Redon,
Claude Monet, Alexandre Cabanel, Camille Pissarro, Edgar
Degas, Jules Desbois, Gustave Caillebotte, Eugène
Boudin, Édouard Manet, Ferdinand Hodler, Gustave
Courbet, Paul Signac, Eugène Jansson, Jean-Baptiste,
Félix Vallotton, André Devambez, Paul
Sérusier, Pierre Bonnard, Édouard Detaille,
André Derain, Georges-Pierre Seurat, Maurice
Denis, James McNeill Whistler, Jean-Léon Gérôme,
Paul Cézanne Camille Corot, Jean-François
Millet, Pierre Puvis de Chavannes.
Palais] [Pont Alexandre